ALOHA FIRST GRADE PARENTS AND GUARDIANS,
MAY DAY 2018 LINKS FOR PRACTICE: A HILO AU
In First Grade we review concepts started in Kindergarten and begin our journey in music literacy through:
- Beat and rhythm
- Singing voices
- Comparatives (0r opposites) such as loud and soft, high and low, fast and slow, long and short
- movement to express the music
- Learning notes on a staff, in particular La, Sol and Mi with a moveable Do
- Quarter and eighth notes and quarter rest
- 2/4 and 4/4 time signature groupings
- Study of form through comparing same, similar and different
Every year your child attends Mokapu there will be two quarters with an emphasis on performing as well as preparation for music literacy. Our Winter Program is usually during our last week of school in December. This year it will be on Wed, Dec 20, 2017. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer whole school performances in the evening because our school is so large and there is not a venue on our side of the island that can house both our students and their parents. As a result, we have two identical morning shows, of which you may attend one or watch a live stream of the performance through our Mokapu DOE Youtube account. Information regarding these performances is sent out on a monthly basis, with more detailed information arriving by the beginning of December.
We have bi-annual performances in the spring that we rotate. This year will be our cultural May Day program and you won't want to miss it. The date is set for May 25, 2018. On our non-May Day years, we will be having mini-musicals (short 30 minute shows for K-2 to perform in.)
Please contact me if you have any questions regarding performances or curriculum.